If you are anything like me, you may feel a bit inferior when someone uses…
Recently I was researching for one of my clients on Facebook to confirm their customers business names. My client’s customers are all small business owners. One thing that surprised me was the number of people who did not list their own business on their personal Facebook profile. I asked myself why would you not list your business on your Facebook profile? It’s a great way of marketing yourself. I often will click on someones Facebook profile after they have contributed to group discussions on Facebook and have a look at their business, but if this information is missing, this is a missed opportunity for the person.
In any small business, the main asset to the business is the owner of the business, often without them, there is no business. They have the skills and knowledge required for the business, so there personal profile is very important.
You may not want clients seeing your personal information on Facebook and that’s fine, you don’t need to share much, just make public your work information.
How do I add my business to my personal profile?
- Click on your profile by click on your photo in the top bar of Facebook (from a desktop computer)
- On the intro on the left-hand side, click Edit Details.
- Under Work, click add a Workplace
- Click add workplace again
- Type your business name in Company. This should provide a dropdown list, select your business from the list. These are the published business pages on facebook.
- Type your position
- Type the city
- Add the date you commenced working
- Next to save there is a dropdown list, ensure you click Public, so this information is visible to everyone
- Click save
Now you have linked your business page to your personal profile.
You may only want to post anonymously from your business page and not your personal page. This is also fine but if you wish to contribute to group discussions, generally must join groups as a personal profile and not a business page, not all groups allow pages to join.
In today’s business world social media needs to be part of your marketing strategy and this simple tip will improve your presence.